Monday, January 24, 2011

A Peek Inside


This is Sam. He is about three years old, declawed, and pretty skinny. He was found in a manhole a bit ago, he couldn't have gotten there himself...I'll let you ponder how he got there (hint: someone put him there). Did I mention he's declawed? He's also pretty skittish of men, dogs, cats, women, children, blowdryers (even turned off), hair brushes...etc. etc. etc.  

I'm visiting Blistered Whiskers from San Diego, CA. I fall in love with all of the cats I meet here, they're so sweet and loving...but I've only fallen in love with two enough to take home with me. This trip I had the pleasure to be Sam's roommate. At first he didn't really want anything to do with me, I mean, if you had a room all to yourself would you want a roommate? Probably not. Well, he caved by the time I hit the hay my first night...he decided to grace me with his presence and cuddle with me. I thought maybe it was a fluke, that was based on the shocked look on Maggi's (the shelter director) face.

The next day, I noticed every time I would walk in the room, Sam would get up from wherever he was and saunter to me, for scratchies. Keep in mind, he's at least 4 lbs underweight and his thighs are pretty emaciated looking...so walking is a big deal for him (and is currently part of his rehab). When I pat the bed, Sam jumps up for scratchies. When I pat the floor, he jumps down for scratchies. Most cats work for treats/food, he works for love. Last night he laid on my lap for about an hour before I finally fell asleep. Today he's been the same loving kitty he was yesterday...

You might be wondering why I'm sharing this with you...I am just so amazed at how cats (and animals in general) are so forgiving of humanity. From what I can gather, Sam has had a rough three years, but he is still willing to give me a chance. Sam is a special guy, sure he looks like ten thousand other brown/black tabbies...but to me he might just be one of those cats that I fall in love with so much, enough to take home to California with me. 

Sam's story is not the first of its kind, and it's certainly not the most horrible story I've heard while volunteering at Blistered Whiskers. We've got some real gems running around on the streets - but that's another story...There are plenty of sweet, loving, forgiving kitties running around Blistered Whiskers that are waiting for someone to discover them. Their gentle and loving demeanors are a direct product of the love they're getting from the awesome volunteers here. You won't find a better cat anywhere else. If you have room in your house for a cat, find him or her at Blistered Whiskers

Below are a few pictures of Sam and our other roommate (who is up for adoption) Patches:





Sam and I (excuse his grumpy face, he can't help it)






No comments:

Post a Comment