Thursday, November 18, 2010

Holiday Idea(s)...

I'm not one to tell people how to spend their money or their time. Both are precious, and, especially in these difficult times, sometimes very limited. The holiday season can be stressful for any number of reasons. Work can be crazy, family and friends pull and push in every which direction, giving the "perfect gift" to put a smile on someone's face. Well... what about giving a gift for yourself? Yep, that's right, what about YOU during these times? Everyone needs a friend, and adopting an animal from a shelter gives you and your newest buddy the gift of life and of friendship. Together, you can make a huge difference in both of your worlds.

Can't bring another animal home? Trust me, i can't either - I'd bring them all home if i could. No problem. What about volunteering at a shelter? My time at Blistered Whiskers was one of the most amazing times I've ever experienced. It helped put things in perspective for me, reminding me how important it is to give back to the world. These little kitties just want a chance in this world to be loved and to give their love back. Trust me... sometimes the work put in is less than glorious. Kitties get sick and there's litter boxes to be changed, etc. But when i walked thru the door on any given day, i had oodles of kitties all excited to see me, pushing over each other to be the first one that is loved. Most times, you can't get that from any person. The lives that we did save - and they continue to save - were so rewarding to me. To get a kitty off the street, all taken care of to be adopted, and then to get them a good loving home made all the work worth it and then some.

I don't live in Phoenix anymore. I moved to be with my girlfriend and to - hopefully - get married. But i cherished my time at Blistered Whiskers. It was an amazing ride, and i hope to find a place in my new city that will be as good to, and as good for me, as they have been to me. Your time and donations keep the place going, they keep changing lives.

And sometimes it seems that making a difference in this world - - - keeps it from spinning off it's axis. If you can't donate your time, or you can't adopt an animal, try volunteering. There's always something to do, and there's always a way to make a difference. No matter how small it might seem to you, sometimes it means the world to someone else...

Happy Holidays to everyone...

Paul Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment